Have you received an IRS notice? If you want help responding, you may need to grant authorization so the IRS can discuss the matter with a representative of your choice. That’s because your tax return is your private business, and the IRS is prohibited from releasing information you report, except in limited circumstances.

Here are two ways to grant authority for access to certain tax information.

  • Form 8821, “Tax Information Authorization.” This form is a disclosure authorization that allows the person you choose to automatically receive notices and other information about your federal taxes for periods you specify. You can revoke the authorization by submitting a signed copy of the original with the word “Revoke” written across the authorization you no longer want to grant. Don’t have a copy of the original form? Send a letter to the IRS instead, with your information and revocation request.
  • Form 2848, “Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative.” The power of attorney lets someone who is eligible to practice before the IRS represents you and, in some cases, sign agreements and other documents on your behalf. You can revoke a power of attorney by filing a new one for the same tax period, or by sending a signed copy of the original with the word “Revoke” written across the top.

Other forms may be required, depending on the type of tax information and how much authority you want to grant. Contact us for assistance. We’ll help you choose the appropriate level of authorization and complete the necessary form.